Hubby picked up this desk for me. It was a Craigslist find. I wasn't sure what exactly I was going to do with it. I only knew that it was abused and needed love. :)
I began by sanding the top down to the bare wood. It wasn't hard. The finish was practically begging to come off. I didn't sand out all the imperfections though. I like them. Next, I primed/painted the bottom portion of the desk (hardware, too!), then sanded the edges for a rough/chippy look. Finally, I stained the bottom (over the paint), wiping it away to leave behind an antique sheen.
On top, I did a white wash of watered-down latex paint. When it was dry, I also stained over that. It gives the top that driftwood look.Then I traced the graphic on and painted it.
Thank you Graphics Fairy (see link in sidebar).
|Here it is with the left side "distressed" so you can see the difference.|
I think it turned out gorgeous. Could be used as a desk, vanity or even a TV stand! Lots of shabby-chic, cottage loveliness!